Easyboot Originals are my FAVOURITE!
I’ve ridden over 5000 miles /8000 kms in the last 2 years with my trusty Morgan mare Roxy, mostly on pavement and hard ground, mostly very far away from home.
I know what I like and what I need.
7 reasons the Easyboot Originals are the best horse TRAVEL boot in production. (As of summer 2020 unfortunately no longer in production -SO SAD!)
- No chafing
- No twisting sideways
- Can fit a variety of hoof shapes
- Can fit the hoof throughout the trim cycle
- Can be retrofitted for both front and rear hooves
- MacGyvered parts available all over the world
Here are some pictures off and on the hoof.
- As you can notice, they is nothing above the hoof wall, so no pastern or coronet chafing.
- The metal side teeth ensure that the boot never slides sideways.
- They are lightweight.
- They fit irregular sized hooves.
- The cable adjusted, for proper fit throughout the trim cycle.
- The back strap and cable can be shortened to retrofit the front boot on the rear hoof.
- The back strap, and front cables can be replaced with fan belts and brake cables.
They are not perfect:
- The cable can break. (They are easily replaceable with bicycle or motorcycle brake cables).
- The side teeth can mark the sides of the hoof wall. (This isn’t an issue with a hoof with thick walls, and frankly, you probably won’t travel far with a horse with thin hoof walls)
Here’s how they could be improved as a TRAVEL boot:
- By making a removable sole, as in a bolt on rubber horseshoe.
- By using a hose clamp tightener instead of the cable system.
- Returning to parts used in the earlier generations- 1 which were more durable and allowed the cable to slide more freely and not get crimped, 2 as well as allowing for easier removal and replacement of the back strap.
There really is no reason to be buying whole new hoof boots every 2-4 months of travel on pavement, when only the sole is used up. Replacing the sole and reusing the boot only makes sense for horse travel.
A hose clamp, like on the discontinued Easyboot Edge, allows for a wider range of tightening within the same boot size.
****The needs of the horse TRAVELER are unique and special. The Easyboot Original satisfies most of them, as far as hoof care is concerned.*****
More info on Easyboot Originals here in our 3 part post from 2018:
Also you can learn all about barefoot hoof care for the travel horse in these 2 horse travel books: